Westmeath County Council promotes greater awareness of all aspects of the environment including waste prevention and minimisation.
This is done through:
- education and awareness
- liaison with community groups
- implementation of the Green Schools programme
- supporting national campaigns
- facilitating practical and local environmental initiatives e.g. compost workshops.
Green Schools is an international environmental education programme. It is implemented by An Taisce and the Local Authority, offering a well defined, controllable way for schools to take environmental issues into the curriculum and apply them to the day-to-day running of the school.
Green Schools offers your school opportunities:
- To help develop children's decision making skills
- A way to build students confidence and sense of citizenship through participation
- To supply curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events
- To access a network of support agencies
- To link with other schools in Ireland and internationally
- To gain a prestigious award
- To provide local and national publicity
- For financial savings
- To reduce litter and waste
- To improve school environment
- To reduce energy consumption levels
- To involve the local community
The Green Flag Award is renewable every two years, with a new theme tackled in each two year period, whilst still maintaining the previous themes.
The sequence of the themes is outlined below:
- Litter and Waste
This Fund promotes sustainable development by assisting small scale, non-profit environmental projects at local level. It is available to projects/initiatives that contribute to increasing local levels of environmental awareness or one which promotes building, greener more sustainable communities. Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Wednesday 11th July 2012.
Anti-litter and Anti-Graffiti Awareness Initiatives Grants Scheme
This grant is available to raise public awareness and promote anti-litter and anti-graffiti activity at local level.
The maximum grant allowed for any one project may be up to 70% of the project costs, with the balance being met by way of local contributions.
- Green Schools Handbook
- Green Schools Registration Form
- Local Agenda 21 Grant Application form 2012
- Local Agenda 21 Applic form as gaeilge 2012
- Local Agenda 21 Report - Leading by Example
- Green Flag - Further Information